RELG 3600 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Multilateral Treaty, Angelina Jolie, Jonathan Sacks

55 views3 pages
Class 2: January 29, 2018
White, Jerry, “Explosive Wisdom,” Kosmos magazine
Successful leaders must learn to:
o (1) source the power of their inner wisdom, anchoring themselves in their values,
not just personal interests;
o (2) seek the understanding of the underlying complexities and behavior patterns
that contribute to harmful spirals, and discern and work toward healthier
alternatives; and
o (3) use knowledge and know-how to deliver measurable results, offering
everyone a way to contribute, to pick up a shovel and dig.
Wisdom, born of a deep reverence for life, unleashes our inherent resilience, potential
and power, and helps replace fragmentation with unity, shortsightedness with vision, and
fear with courage.
Understanding the root causes of systemic problems is needed to identify strategic
pathways, in order to replace destructive patterns with constructive alternatives that will
ensure lasting change in thought and behavior.
Knowledge and experience are needed to mobilize the information, people and
resources to replace ignorance and inaction with expertise and measurable results.
Wisdom, Understanding and Knowledge form an undeniable platform for liberation.
o *Are you are a doer—a person of action? You don’t just talk or complain.
o *Do you burn for justice and humanity? You long for a more humane world.
o *Do you value inner space? You are not afraid of silence or spiritual practice.
o *Do you retain hope and optimism? You are not cynical about the future.
White, Jerry, and Rutherford, Kenneth, “The Role of Landmine Survivors,” To Walk
Without Fear
Ottawa Convention (December 1997): clause to provide humanitarian assistance for
people maimed by landmines
o The first time this conversation was heard was at the Vienna CCW conference in
September 1995
Geneva: The UN CCW Conference
o Landmine survivors were encouraged to amplify their voices
o Jerry White lead part of the conference
o During a presentation, survivors removed their prosthetic limbs and described
their personal encounters with the lines
Definition of “victim assistance” is contested → what exactly do they need? Immediate
medical attention, long term therapy, access to prosthetics
Definition of “landmine victim” is contested
Ottawa Conference 1996
o LSN called for integrated approach to mine action including a ban, accelerated
mine clearance, and increased assistance for survivors
o The call for a global ban received the most attention
Other important: Princess Diana’s visit to Angola and Bosnia, Brussels Conference, Oslo
Conference
GCP Overview and Strategic Framework
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

You are not afraid of silence or spiritual practice. White, jerry, and rutherford, kenneth, the role of landmine survivors, to walk. Without fear: ottawa convention (december 1997): clause to provide humanitarian assistance for people maimed by landmines, the first time this conversation was heard was at the vienna ccw conference in. Tutu, williams, goose, wareham, banning landmines and beyond, banning. Landmines, (pp. ix-13: africa is the most mine-infested continent in the world, 1997 mine ban treaty credit to canadians (ottawa) It was a difficult piece of legislation to pass. It gained traction after the icbl won the nobel peace prize in 1997: the treaty entered into force in 1999 which was more quickly than any other major multilateral treaty in history. Sacks, jonathan: not in god"s name, chapters 1-2 (pp. 3-43) Although i believe religion is an incredibly important factor in many global conflicts, i do not think it is that main driver.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers