RELS 3714 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Hierophany, Fokker E.Ii, Japanese Alps

34 views4 pages

Document Summary

Differing ways religious messages are received or interpreted: this too is agency. Example: the meanings you prescribe to rituals can vary. Recap of weber: weber compared to others a. i. Human ideas, beliefs and motives deserve to be counted as independent cause of human action a. ii. Recognizes the importance/priority of the ideas: what about the experiential dimension? b. i. Edith turner sees shaman extract blue blob from patients shoulder b. ii. 3. Michael harner studied shamanism in the amazon, and started trying to teach westerners the ways b. ii. 4. Ended up participating in the dance of festival the women kept inviting her to b. ii. 4. a. i. This helped her to understand people she was studying and what they experienced. Eliade is not a reductionist: advocated humanistic approach" a. i. Religion must be explained on its own terms a. ii. Religion should be taken at face value, as encounter with the sacred a. iii. Comparative study of religions reveals common/recurring themes and patterns a. iii. 1.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers