AAS 246 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Model Minority, Asian Americans, Family Values

46 views2 pages

Document Summary

The model minority concept is strongly represented in mainstream and independent media productions about asian americans. We see it in the films we saw in class. Race is a social construct that generally draws on biology and culture to explain how one looks, is categorized, and understood. It is also conflated with the term ethnicity. Race is a concept that is intertwined with relationships of power. It is linked to a system of domination and inequalities, i. e racism. It is also used by marginalized in opposition to racism, i. e. Social construct meaning that something is created people and made meaningful in social interaction. Gender is a social construct that is usually used to explain sex roles (i. emale, female, intersex) It is generally used to describe concepts of femininity and masculinity. Gender is a concept that is intertwined with relationships of power. For example, the construction of asian american males as asexual.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers