SOC 130 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Nonverbal Communication, Comfort Zone, Paralanguage

58 views2 pages

Document Summary

Language: communication is conveying meaningful messages from one organism to another a. i. Productivity- the availability to create infinite ranges of understandable messages. Displacement- the ability to refer to events in the past, refer to events in the past, future, or abstract domains a. ii: properties of verbal language, phonology a. i. a. ii. a. iii. Languages usually use a fraction of total sounds we can make: morphology b. i. b. ii. Smallest unit of sound with meaning: syntax c. i. Level at which lots of meaning is added, construction of words and sentences: semantics d. i. d. ii. Lots of sentences together to make deep meanings: combinatorial property of language, more than just words nonverbal communication, kinesics - body language a. i. a. ii. Vary between cultures & genders: proxemics b. i. Creole: william labov- r experiment - using language to study class, dropping the r in new york dialects connects with class, conducted a study to show that people alter their language depending on class.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers