ENGL 1102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Alice Walker

23 views1 pages
5 May 2018
Department
Course
Professor
The narrative of “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker, which is set during the late 1960’s,
demonstrates that nature versus nurture can be seen through the difficulties that arise as an
African-American family becomes separated, then unifies once again. “I didn't want to bring up
how I had offered Dee (Wangero) a quilt when she went away to college. Then she had told they
were old~fashioned, out of style.” (Walker). From this passage, one can see Dee drifting away
from her heritage and history (nature), unable to truly appreciate the keepsakes left behind by her
ancestors. This most likely results from an appreciation for the “finer things in life” that Dee was
not accustomed to having while growing up in an impoverished Black neighborhood (nurture).
Although Dee and Maggie, who are biological sisters, grew up with near identical backgrounds
and with the same parents, Dee was fortunate enough to obtain the rare chance to receive a
higher level education, which allowed her to further her dreams and goals while Maggie, on the
other hand, remains almost stagnant or static. The stark difference between the learned and
unlearned sibling would thus continue to become more apparent, perhaps until the only thing that
they can relate to each other is simply their common blood that which they share.
When Dee returns home, Mama and Maggie quickly notices the changes that she had gone
through, such as her choice of style and her change in name from Dee to Wangero. "What don't I
understand? I wanted to know. Your heritage," (Walker). Dee, over time, became so removed
from her heritage and roots, and was progressively becoming an entirely new person. Through
analysis of nature versus nurture, it would seem that nurture had a much significant and greater
role in shaping Dee’s persona and mentality. Explaining to her family how she is frustrated that
they do not know enough of their heritage, Dee claims that the quilt from Grandma Dee must be
her possession. “We all have family members and know how frustrating it can be to want to help care for a person
but feel unable to do so” (Ronch).
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

The narrative of everyday use by alice walker, which is set during the late 1960"s, demonstrates that nature versus nurture can be seen through the difficulties that arise as an. African-american family becomes separated, then unifies once again. I didn"t want to bring up how i had offered dee (wangero) a quilt when she went away to college. Then she had told they were old~fashioned, out of style. (walker). From this passage, one can see dee drifting away from her heritage and history (nature), unable to truly appreciate the keepsakes left behind by her ancestors. This most likely results from an appreciation for the finer things in life that dee was not accustomed to having while growing up in an impoverished black neighborhood (nurture).

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers