LTEA 142 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: National Arts Festival, Prostitutes In South Korea For The U.S. Military, Old Money

47 views2 pages
22 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Lecture 12, 04.27.2018
Literary circles also encourage the production of content, following the models of works
produed  professioal authorized riters
People are encouraged to tell their stories (autobiography, reportage in their factory) and frame
their stor i a ideologiall orret a
Literary contests and publication manage to produce enthusiasm and increase popular
participation and consumption of official representations
1949 Natioal Arts Festial: Four ears after lieratio, the orkig asses hae alread
eoe reators of ulture
Separate sections for professionals and amateurs/circle members in the festival
Ubiquitous and irreconcilable distinction between culture without epithet, the cultural
productions of officially recognized artists, and mass culture, the works of amateur circles
aateurs ere preeted fro joiig the raks of the itelligetsia
If everyone becomes artists, then no one will work in the factories anymore
Peasants could not join the artists
Writers legitia i North Korea ae i part fro their professed ailit to speak for the
people, but what happens when the people can speak for themselves?
Cultural censorship
Language has a pragmatic power: it gives people an identity
Reflecting a reality and creating it through your discourse
Selecting symbols that are representative of the nation
Military camps, gender and popular entertainment in post-war South Korea
Flower in hell - 1958
~50,000 U.S. troops stationed in South Korea mostly around Seoul
Neorealist stle: o loatio filig, poert ad oo people i ap tos
Was popular due to the post WWI situatio → poor, destroed eiroet
A radical film for a time of radical changes?
Someone upset by a conservative discourse
Characters: hoodlums & prostitutes
Sex, naked bodies only four years after the first onscreen kiss
Americanization of lifestyle: canned food and drinks
If ou are ale to afford aed food/food that ot gie ou food poisoig, the ou ust e
wealthy
Fashion and distinction
Fashion acts as a social marker for the film director himself
A way to display his knowledge of international fashion trends and of his sese of taste
Old money vs new money
Sonya
The Wester priess
Prostitutes servicing American soldiers
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Literary circles also encourage the production of content, following the models of works produ(cid:272)ed (cid:271)(cid:455) professio(cid:374)al (cid:858)authorized(cid:859) (cid:449)riters. People are encouraged to tell their stories (autobiography, reportage in their factory) and frame their stor(cid:455) i(cid:374) a(cid:374) (cid:858)ideologi(cid:272)all(cid:455) (cid:272)orre(cid:272)t(cid:859) (cid:449)a(cid:455) Literary contests and publication manage to produce enthusiasm and increase popular participation and consumption of official representations. 1949 natio(cid:374)al arts festi(cid:448)al: (cid:862)four (cid:455)ears after li(cid:271)eratio(cid:374), the (cid:449)orki(cid:374)g (cid:373)asses ha(cid:448)e alread(cid:455) (cid:271)e(cid:272)o(cid:373)e (cid:272)reators of (cid:272)ulture(cid:859) Separate sections for professionals and amateurs/circle members in the festival. Ubiquitous and irreconcilable distinction between culture without epithet, the cultural productions of officially recognized artists, and mass culture, the works of amateur circles (cid:858)a(cid:373)ateurs(cid:859) (cid:449)ere pre(cid:448)e(cid:374)ted fro(cid:373) joi(cid:374)i(cid:374)g the ra(cid:374)ks of the i(cid:374)tellige(cid:374)tsia. If everyone becomes artists, then no one will work in the factories anymore. Language has a pragmatic power: it gives people an identity. Reflecting a reality and creating it through your discourse. Selecting symbols that are representative of the nation.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers