BIOL 1107 Lecture Notes - Lecture 40: Capillary, Poikilotherm, Countercurrent Exchange

15 views3 pages
29 Mar 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Large animals need more food, produce more waste, take longer time to mature, live longer, reproduce slower. Increase the surface area of the organism: flaterning a. i. a. ii. a. iii. Lamellae optimize oxygen consumption and co2 reduction: folding b. i. b. ii. b. iii. Epithelial lining of small intestine has lots of folds and contains villi. If we did not have these foldings, human beings would not be this large. Need to deliver large amounts of oxygen to the brain more than any other place in the body c. ii. 1. Need to remove a lot of co2 and intake a lot of oxygen in the brain tissue c. ii. 2. Those genes are made into proteins that are sensors: ectotherms can only regulate heat in a warm environment b. i. Hands, arms, legs and feet are continuously exposed to external environment: homeotherms vs poikilotherms, homeotherms - keep body temp constant a. i. Cannot tolerate changes in body temperature: poikilotherms - allow body temperature to change depending on environmental conditions b. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers