AMH 2020 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Pendleton Civil Service Reform Act, Capitalism, American Federation Of Labor

91 views10 pages
10 Nov 2016
School
Course

Document Summary

A war hero/general does not equal a good president. Railroads- begin in the late 1820s, early 1830s. 1850s: need for transcontinental railroad from california (gold) to new york. Biggest problems of 1850s: north and south rarely agreed on anything, argument on where to run the railroad. Southerners wanted it in the south, the project goes nowhere. After civil war the north took initiative on where and who would build the railroad. The union pacific- started at omaha nebraska and head west. May 10, 1869- lines joined creating the railroad, a huge event. Normally the government makes the states raise their own money for big projects. But this railroad was so big the national government had to fund it. A company of men who used to work for the. U(cid:272)(cid:272)essful proje(cid:272)t= rise i(cid:374) to(cid:272)k. i(cid:374) (cid:272)harge of sto(cid:272)k (cid:449)as u g"s (cid:448)i(cid:272)e preside(cid:374)t. the (cid:272)e(cid:374)tral pacific had a more difficult job due to terrain (chinese immigrants)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers