PSY 348 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Key 2, Extraversion And Introversion, Reticular Formation

28 views6 pages
22 Mar 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Personality: overall enduring pattern of thoughts, emotions, and behaviors that define an individual. Personality traits: predispose a person to act in a certain way. Rubber band metaphor: people have general tendencies. People have the ability to stretch beyond their dispositions. Traits do change, but less and less so over time. Around the age of 30 years old = relatively stable. This has been the popular view since the 1990s. The big five personality traits: o. c. e. a. n. (or c. a. n. o. e. : o openness to experience, c conscientiousness, e extraversion, a agreeableness, n neuroticism. O openness to experience: inventive/curious vs. cautious/conservative. Appreciation for art, adventure, unusual ideas, and a variety of experiences. High o i have a vivid imagination. Low o i am not interested in abstractions. C conscientiousness: tendency toward self-discipline and acting dutifully. High c i follow a schedule. High e i am the life of a party. Low e i have little to say.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers