01:119:115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Sister Chromatids, Multicellular Organism, Genetic Variation

18 views12 pages

Document Summary

Heredity: transmission of traits from one generation to the next inheritance. Variation: differences between individuals (child to parents to siblings) Gametes: reproductive cells that transmit genes from one generation to the next. Types of reproduction: asexual reproduction, sexual reproduction comparing sexual and asexual reproduction, asexual reproduction, single parent produces offspring a. i. single celled organisms- split a. ii. multicellular organisms- bud or fragment, offspring are a result of mitotic division a. i. 1 diploid (2n) parent 2 diploid offspring a. ii. 1 haploid (n) parent 2 haploid offspring: clones are produced: offspring are exact copies of each other and of parent, advantages: a. i. Avoid time and energy to find mate a. iii. Produce lots of progeny (well adapted to environment: sexual reproduction, union of two gametes (sex cells) to form a zygote a. i. Gamete (n) + gamete (n) zygote (2n)= fertilization a. ii. Gametes usually form different parents (egg and: gametes are result of meiotic division sperm) a. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers