HSCI 20200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Chisso, Chemistry, Lead Poisoning

35 views2 pages

Document Summary

Essentials of environmental, occupational, and radiological health sciences (hsci 20200) Environmental health in ancient societies: greece a. i. Deadly white lead nicander (200bc) used as makeup: rome b. i. Air pollution and run-off garbage into the population b. ii. 100-400bc: fall of rome (lead poisoning: causes of disease c. i. Agricola ( father of metallurgy ) discovered some environmental/occupational causes of chronic diseases c. ii. Leonardo da vinci ( dust causes damage ) discovered the dust is the cause of many diseases c. iii. Paracelsus ( father of toxicology ) discovered that poison is in everything, but what makes it deadly is the specific amount c. iv. Percivall pott discovered that cancer is caused by environmental carcinogen c. iv. 1. Discovered that workplaces are unsafe c. v. sir john snow- birth of environmental epidemiology (waves of. 1st public health law- focused on clean/healthy water c. v. 1. b. Applied chemistry and chemical engineering expanded (ex. bleach, soaps) c. v. 1. c. Synthetic chemistries advanced (ex. synthetic c. v. 2. rubbers, pesticides)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers