SOC 3523 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Deinstitutionalisation, Juvenile Court

22 views2 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

In 1899 children who violated laws were not to be treated like criminals. Youthful offenders were designated as delinquent rather than criminal. The primary purpose of the juvenile justice system was rehabilitation, not punishment. Juvenile courts sought to turn juvenile delinquents into productive citizens through rehabilitation. Fisher i(cid:374) (cid:1005)(cid:1013)(cid:1004)(cid:1009) the pe(cid:374)(cid:374)syl(cid:448)a(cid:374)ia upre(cid:373)e court ruled that the ju(cid:448)e(cid:374)ile (cid:272)ourt"s role in training delinquent children superseded the rights of children and their parents. The decision of what cases would go to court was made by a juvenile court intake division, unlike criminal court where district attorneys made the decision. Juvenile court intake considered both extra-legal and legal factors in deciding how to handle cases. Juvenile proceedings were more civil than criminal because the purpose was to protect and treat the child. The ju(cid:448)e(cid:374)ile legal pro(cid:272)ess (cid:449)as purportedly (cid:862)i(cid:374) the t i(cid:374)terests of the (cid:272)hild(cid:863)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers