POL-UA 500 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Arab Spring, Lustration, Aisle

14 views3 pages

Document Summary

Whether the regime in power loses its legitimacy. Newer generation has different ideals-previous generation remembers time when it was worse. Civil society-if people can come together to discuss issues, makes change easier. More likely to achieve a transition if the opposition is unified. Easier for the reigme to stay in power if the opposition is fragmented because it can go after each one individually. When right people are in the right place and time. When leaders have done xxx, democratization is more likely to occur. Promise more aid if a country gives a policy agenda. Removal of an external restraint-u r pro(cid:373)ises it (cid:449)o(cid:374)"t i(cid:374)ter(cid:448)e(cid:374)e. Arab spring and changes in easter europe were different because in arab spring there was no overarching hegemony. No (cid:271)elief that (cid:449)he(cid:374) the perso(cid:374) i(cid:374) po(cid:449)er lea(cid:448)es there"ll (cid:271)e a rise i(cid:374) po(cid:449)er (cid:271)y the oppositio(cid:374) Authoritarian regimes are beginning to push back agai(cid:374)st the west"s push to(cid:449)ards de(cid:373)o(cid:272)ra(cid:272)y.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers