MATH 190 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Central Nervous System, Cranial Nerves, Cerebellum

25 views8 pages
29 Nov 2020
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Farthing, g. w. (1992), the psychology of consciousness. Materialist viewpoint mind and consciousness are functions of the brain. Neuroscience aims to explain how the brain produces the whole range of human mental processes: perception, memory, language, thinking, emotion, control of action, subjective consciousness. Split-brain problem bimodal nature of consciousness and possibility of dual- consciousness: two separate, independent centers of consciousness, one in each cerebral hemisphere. Nervous system divided into two main parts: Central nervous system (cns) brain and spinal cord. Peripheral nervous system carries messages to and from cns. A) somatic system: controls skeletal muscles, relays sensory messages about touch, pressure, pain, temperature, and muscle movements to cns. Cranial nerves relay sensory messages (i. e. vision and hearing) and control muscle movements (i. e. speech) in head and neck region. B) autonomic system: controls glands and energy organs (i. e. heart, blood vessels, lungs, intestines) Sympathetic expends energy (as in emotional arousal) Parasympathetic accumulates and conserves energy (as in relaxation and digestion)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers