ANTH 18630 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Adaptive Radiation, Biological Anthropology, Gregor Mendel

51 views8 pages

Document Summary

Human evolution | chapter 2 and sexual selection. Natural selection: biologi(cid:272)al traits (cid:894)i(cid:374)herited (cid:272)hara(cid:272)teristi(cid:272)s(cid:895) that e(cid:374)ha(cid:374)(cid:272)ed a(cid:374) orga(cid:374)is(cid:373)(cid:859)s sur(cid:448)i(cid:448)al i(cid:374) a(cid:374) environment would increase in frequency through time. Great chain of being concept: = idea that you can rank species from simple to more complex (but with the belief that all were created at once, plants. 16th and 17th centuries the examination of nature in all its aspects: vesalius renaissance anatomist, dissected cadavers illegally, revival of botany medicinal plants. James hutton was a lawyer and geologist who studied the rocks and soils of the earth, and the natural forces that shaped its surface such as wind, rain, erosion, etc; he worked in the late. 1700s and reasoned that these forced have always been at work, over a very long time, and that the earth was much older than just a few thousand years; but his ideas did not gain general acceptance.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers