HIST 2112 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Emancipation Proclamation, Thomas Nast, Reconstruction Era

50 views4 pages
29 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

He believes that it is not working and that former slaves are being treated worse than when they were slaves. What does it mean to be free: 2016: freedom of speech, right to bear arms, etc, 1865: i am free because i own myself. Definition (different views: lincoln"s view: bind the nation"s wounds, white southerners views: believed the north was going to punish them, our working definition: reconstruction is an era in which laws/ the constitution has to be revised. When: 1863-1877 (civil was ends 1865, 1863: emancipation proclamation is issued in september. 1860 vote count from that state had taken an oath of allegiance to the u. s. and pledged to abide by emancipation. Voters could then elect delegates to draft revised state constitutions and establish new state governments. All southerners except for high- ranking confederate army officers and government officials would be granted a full pardon.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers