POSC 225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Individual And Group Rights, Montesquieu, Limited Government

29 views3 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Small r republican form of democracy: definition: b. i. Representative: democracy in which citizens delegate governing to elected officials b. ii. Direct: citizens make policy decisions themselves via referenda, initiatives, town hall meetings: a republic that addressed the costs of collective action c. i. Conformity costs: when collective decisions obligate individuals to act counter to their preferences, interests, etc. c. i. 2. Transaction costs: time, effort, and resources to make collective decisions c. ii. We have a government that minimizes conformity costs partly by maximizing transaction costs c. ii. 1. To protect against tyranny of the majority and other threats c. ii. 2. a. The declaration of independence: thomas paine"s common sense moved independence to center stage a. i. Three months and 120,000 copies later, americans supported independence b. In june 1776 virginia delegate richard henry lee called for creation of a new nation separate from britain b. i. Why did adams want jefferson to write the declaration? b. ii. 1.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers