SPHS-S 108 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Speech Perception, Apraxia, Phoneme

34 views5 pages

Document Summary

Phonology review: phoneme, smallest unit of language that signals a change in meaning, minimal pair, a set of words that only differ by one phoneme (or other phonological element, ex. ) Mat v. bat, alive v. arrive: organized in a cvc structure aka syllables, vowels are always the nucleus of a syllable; consonants are the initial, median, and final positions, phonological development is complete during the school-age years (approx. Delay v. disorder: delay: children with speech production patterns that are typical for children who are younger, disorder: children whose speech is unlike children at any age who are developing normally. Incidence: the rate of frequency of new occurrences of a disease, disorder, or something else that is undesirable. I(cid:374)(cid:272)orre(cid:272)t use of sou(cid:374)ds i(cid:374) (cid:272)ertai(cid:374) (cid:449)ord positio(cid:374)s (cid:894)(cid:862)pod(cid:863) i(cid:374)stead of (cid:862)pot(cid:863)(cid:895) Treatment: phonological approaches: contrast therapy: show pictures representing word pairs that differ on one dimension (+/- nasality) toe-no, pot-not, see-me, final consonant deletion, no-note, see-seat, me-meat.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers