ARTH 278 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Wassily Kandinsky, Henri Matisse, Academic Art

38 views3 pages
21 Aug 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

C zanne and the art of the early 20th century. Paul c zanne, mont saint-victoire seen from bib muse, 1898-1900. Favorite view, created many points of view of this. C zanne"s work is an instant of what the twentieth century has termed autonomous (independent) creation. C zanne"s art is the single instance of the modernist paradigm. It is a revolutionary artwork is at the same time apolitical. C zanne: i am unable to accept the unauthorized judgment of colleagues, whom i have not myself appointed to evaluate my work. C zanne, portrait of the painter, achille emperaire, 1868-70. C zanne, portrait of louis-auguste c zanne, father of the artist, reading. Positioned his father in a clear way, sitting down at home, chair similar to achille"s. Henry matisse, portrait of andr derain, 1905. Impressionism: too unstable, too intangible, expressive, for the representation of the countryside and its people. Academic technique: linear drawing, single-point perspective, classical anatomy, tonal modeling, chiaroscuro.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers