PHIL 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Sport Utility Vehicle, David Foster Wallace

34 views5 pages

Document Summary

Philosophical contemplation will benefit those who study the subject. Living through these ideals will create secondary affects that become parts of other peoples" lives. The most obvious, ubiquitous, important realities are often the ones that are the hardest to see and talk about. Everything in my own immediate experience supports my deep belief that i am the absolute center of the universe. Naturally, we do not see life from a perspective other than our own. But please don"t worry that i"m getting ready to preach to you about compassion or other-directedness or the so-called virtues. This is not a matter of virtue it"s a matter of my choosing to do the work of somehow altering my thinking. What does it mean to be well adjusted? : well adjusted people are those able to free themselves from their default self- centeredness. College education, according to wallace, plays a role in this by teaching you how to think.