COMS 311 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Nomothetic, Communication Theory, Empiricism

44 views3 pages

Document Summary

On midterm there will be a whole section on: epistemology, ontology & axiology: matching, statement: then a list of the three approaches- when you see the statement, you. Chapter two: will say which one the statement follows. Theories do not reflect reality- it is more of a lense: our theories impact our perceptions. (cid:862)i"ll (cid:271)elie(cid:448)e (cid:449)hat i see(cid:863) (cid:448)s you see (cid:449)hat you (cid:271)elie(cid:448)e: confirmation bias, your theories about the world directly affect what you see. What may impact why sexes perceive things differently: socialization and social norms may impact the way a person sees the world, biological theories may explain perception. Women smile more for an array of reasons: critical theory. Dimensions of theory: philosophical assumptions: on midterm. Example from text: some are strikes some are balls, i calls them as i see them. They say what they see and they report what they see, realizing it may not be an objective reality.