ENG 123 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Bump, Bump, Bump, Semicolon

42 views1 pages
Department
Course
Professor
Let’s Back Up
Quotations: Italics, Ellipses, Changes
-If you are using a quotation, you should duplicate the source exactly. Anything inside of quotation marks
should be exactly what the source said and how he or she said it. IF the source has a selling error, KEEP the
spelling error IN the quote, but add the notation "sic" inside the brackets immediately after the error to indicate
that it's not your error.
Example: In his 2009 memoir To Fall Again, Alan Birdneck says, "I have fallen down the stairs more times then
[sic] any other person who has ever lived" (66).
This is the Part About Using Italics
-You may italicize words in the quotation that you want to emphasize. Add a semicolon and the words
"Emphasis added" to the parenthetical citation.
Example: In her book Falling Down Stairs Isn't So Bad, Alice Yellowcar says, "The average person falls down
the stairs Six times a day, but most don't feel the need to brag about it" (23; emphasis added).
This is the part about Ellipses
-You may decide to omit words from a quotation because they aren't relevant to the point you're making. When
you omit words from a quotation, use ellipses - " …" -in place of the missing words.
Example:
"I once fell down thirteen stairs - bump, bump, bump, bump, bum, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump
-and the only I bones I broke were my pelvis and collarbone."
TURNS INTO
In his book A Chronicle of Stairs I have Fallen Down, scientist Titus Ancient snake Jr. says, "I once fell down
thirteen stairs … and the only bones I broke were my pelvis and collarbone" (90).
Using Brackets for Insertions or Changes
-Use brackets around an insertion or a change needed to make a quotation conform grammatically to your
sentence, such as a change in the form of a verb or pronoun or in the capitalization of the first word of the
quotation.
Example:
"When I was a kid, I used to try to get my mother's attention by falling down the grand staircase headfirst."
TURNS INTO
In her book A life Spent Falling Down Stairs, Deidre Poisonsale explains how when she was a child, "[she] used
to try to get [her] mother's attention by falling down the grand staircase headfirst" (2,303).
More About Brackets
-You may also use brackets to add or substitute explanatory material in a quotation
Example: "IN all the times I saw him fall down the stairs, I never once heard him complain about how slipper
that top step was."
TURNS INTO
Alfred Totalloss, in his book Why I fall (Down Flights of Stairs), says, "In all the times I saw him [his father]
fall down the stairs, I never once heard him complain about how slippery that top step was " (4,556,212).
Adjusting the Grammar of Quotations
-A period at the end of a quotation may be changed to a comma if you are using the quotation within your own
sentence.
-Double quotation marks enclosing a quotation may be changed to single quotation marks when the quotation is
enclosed within a longer quotation.
-If the original quotation has an exclamation point or a question mark, retain the original punctuation.
Block Quotations
-MLA: Four or more typed lines
-APA: 40 words or more.
Example: According to Ruth Earring finder in her book I will Never Fall Down the Stairs: The solution is
simple: I avoid stairs entirely. I've never gone up a flight of stairs. I will occasionally go up or down one or two
steps, but never three. This way, if and when I do fall, no one can say that I fell down the stairs. They'll have to
say that I fell down the steps. Being strict about the difference between stairs and steps is a crucial element of
my perfect record. And it's a big reason that that record will stay perfect.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class