CGS HU 202 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Jean-Paul Sartre

35 views4 pages
Kevin Shah
Dr. Vail
3/23/18
HU 202
A Clash of Ideologies
Mond: Welcome friends to my domain in London! I shall guarantee that my World State is far
better than any of the remaining nine. Here everyone is constantly happy, joyful, and content
with their stature and lifestyle. From the Alpha Pluses to the Epsilons, London is one of the
most prestigious and efficient locations to live in these days.
Sartre: Thank you for inviting us; I am truly excited to have the opportunity of finally visiting
and viewing your infamous World State.
Camus: Likewise! I have never visited a location so technologically advanced as the one your
state portrays.
Mond: I appreciate your kind words. You must follow me to the Central London Hatchery and
Conditioning Center. Here at the Fertilizing Room are where our citizens are created and how
we maintain the stability amongst the people of the society. There is no room for indifference
ad eolt; this is doe so though Bokaosk’s poess […] oe egg, oe eo, oe adult—
normality. From eight to ninety-si uds […] ee eo ill tu ito a full-sized adult’
(Huxley 6).
Sartre: If I understood you correctly, this process allows a single egg to produce eight to ninety-
six embryos that will develop into identical human beings?
Mond: Peisel! Is’t that so fasiatig? Furthermore, the conditioning that follows with this
process aims to ensure that the people accept and like their unescapable social destiny
(Huxley 16). I have worked endlessly to seue the Wold “tate’s otto: Community, Identity,
Stability (Huxley 3). All of the technology that you witness in this building and in this area solely
exists to maintain the motto.
Sartre: That is quite intriguing and controlling, Mustapha; however, with your system there is
one flaw that I notice: no freedom of pusuig oes’ own destiny. I believe in my moral theory,
if existence really does precede essence, then there are no explaining things away by
efeee to a fied ad gie atue “ate 9. Humans have no in-built preprogramming
and should be able to live a free life completely defined by their actions and choices.
Sartre: Furthermore, from my perspective it seems that you claim that everyone here is happy,
but are they truly happy? Are you happy? Everyone is identical with one another and fixed into
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Mond: welcome friends to my domain in london! I shall guarantee that my world state is far better than any of the remaining nine. Here everyone is constantly happy, joyful, and content with their stature and lifestyle. From the alpha pluses to the epsilons, london is one of the most prestigious and efficient locations to live in these days. Sartre: thank you for inviting us; i am truly excited to have the opportunity of finally visiting and viewing your infamous world state. I have never visited a location so technologically advanced as the one your state portrays. You must follow me to the central london hatchery and. Here at the fertilizing room are where our citizens are created and how we maintain the stability amongst the people of the society. There is no room for indifference a(cid:374)d (cid:396)e(cid:448)olt; this is do(cid:374)e so th(cid:396)ough (cid:862)boka(cid:374)o(cid:448)sk(cid:455)"s p(cid:396)o(cid:272)ess [ ] o(cid:374)e egg, o(cid:374)e e(cid:373)(cid:271)(cid:396)(cid:455)o, o(cid:374)e adult normality.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers