CAS HI 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Philomela, Structural Engineering, Imperial Cult (Ancient Rome)

25 views2 pages

Document Summary

The good, the bad, and the ugly: rome and its emperors: first among equals: the good: the grandeur of imperial rome. Completed in 80 ce, the colosseum could seat 50,000 people. Could be flooded to stage mock naval battles. The colosseum represented the height of roman structural engineering and was a grand stage for the representation of imperial glory. O(cid:272)(cid:272)upied the site of nero"s golde(cid:374) house. Showed how an emperor ought to appeal to the roman masses. A lot of art came from excavations of pompeii. After the suicide of nero in 68 ce, three men claimed the imperial title galba, otho, and. Vespasian supplanted vitellius and began the flavian dynasty, which lasted until 96 ce. The year of four e(cid:373)perors de(cid:373)o(cid:374)strated the (cid:448)olatility that the legio(cid:374)s" i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e i(cid:374) i(cid:373)perial politics could introduce. Vespasian (69-79): the spread of the imperial cult and the adoption of eastern cultural practices.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers