AFST 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: West African Vodun, Ring Shout, Charleston, South Carolina

40 views3 pages

Document Summary

If you have no master, someone will catch you and sell you for what you are worth" said by asante proverb. Leaders: delegitimized because they cannot protect their citizens. By 1750, 6. 5 million people had come to the americas, 80% of them african. By 1834, jamaica"s overall black population is 350k. Life on the caribbean plantations so brutal that slave population is self-sustaining and new slaves have to constantly be brought back in. Extinguishing my individual biological life does not extinguish life broadly conceive. Unlike in most abrahamic religions, it does not threaten my salvation, in fact it guarantees it; my soul goes back to africa. Agency: opposite of being an object, ability to control oneself. Way slaves signal something is going down by burning what they work for, burn crops, barns, etc. April 1781, seventeen of george washington"s slaves escaped to a british war ship nearby, during the revolutionary war.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers