HIST 1088 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: European Central Bank, Mercosur, North American Free Trade Agreement

39 views2 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Argument: how does transnational governance work when there"s no transnational government: surrendering sovereignty: the eu, the eu a. i. Aspiration: united states of europe : towards economic and political integration, 1993 b. i. Removal of all barriers to business across member states b. ii. Treaty of maastricht (terms) b. ii. 1. b. ii. 2. b. ii. 3. b. ii. 4. Plan for monetary union by 1999 (common currency) Member states give up part of sovereign powers to supranational institutions b. ii. 4. a. i. 2004-07: 10 new member states: limits to political integration d. i. Late 2000s: written constitution fails in votes d. ii. Dilemma: how do you foster a sense of belonging? d. iii. But had achieved major feat: end to conflict in europe, creation of peaceful, stable union: lasting effect of eu: encouraged formation of other regional unions, eg. nafta, mercosur, Asean: un, peacekeeper: promises and perils, the un a. i. Bipolar world order: un peacekeeping missions, 1990s c. i. Stepped in when superpowers left africa and asia following end to cold war c. ii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers