SOCI 3670 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Raymond Williams, Orillia, Cultural Practice

113 views2 pages

Document Summary

Culture: european history, different periods, use the word in different ways. Has an effect on how we understand culture today. Raymond williams and 3 general uses of the term culture: classical conception of culture a. Emerged out of the european enlightenment period a. ii. 1. a. ii. 2. Rise of science as way of seeing the world. *civilization most evolved on the evolutionary ladder world. White and french equal versus indians/natives: power relationship, being civilized by europeans with consumption of, the anthropological conception of culture high art a. Indicates a particular way of life, whether of people, a period, a group, or of humanity in general a. i. Anthropology colonizers travelled and documented the way of life a. i. 2. a. Displaying cultures, shown as uncivilized: the works and practices of intellectual and especially artistic activity, theatre, scholarship (writing/literature), academic work. Third concept more recent than the first 2 i) ii) iii) Classical intellectual, spiritual and aesthetic development civilising process.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers