NATS 1760 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Cogito Ergo Sum, Phlogiston Theory, Pneumatic Chemistry

55 views2 pages

Document Summary

Enlightenment movement that stresses movement and science, reason, not only to study nature but to study human and science as well. Reasons are supreme (through logical or evidence) also characterizes enlightenment. Jesuit is the greatest school for mathematicians and astronomers. Descartes joins the army (only fights for the money, not because they believe in it) 1620: moves to netherlands (holland) to work on his philosophy. Experimental makes sense, reveals for him the mechanical nature of the universe. To come up with a philosophy that doesn"t rely on opinion or speculation but that relies on truth and regulations. Goal is to replace aristotle (drawing of him shows his foot on aristotle"s book) Cogito ergo sum i think therefore i am . Anything that i perceive clearly and distinctly must exist and must be true: mathematics is one of the best examples of distinct and clear ideas, matter and motion.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers