MUSI 1530 Lecture 1: Overview I_Tin Pan Alley and the Rise of Mainstream Popular Music

42 views5 pages

Document Summary

Overview i: tin pan alley and the rise of mainstream. Popular music was for entertainment only, and that anything difficult, troublesome or controversial was to be avoided: the role of a song was to help the listener forget the real world and its problems. The united states is a peaceful, prosperous and happy place. (charles hamm 1979: 117) General music industry requirements: music composed on demand for financial gain, music diffused by mass media and well-organized distribution system, created within city/urban contexts. Style history: 1800: pleasure gardens, 1830: circus/minstrelsy, 1892: vaudeville (cid:197)(cid:198) tin pan alley, 1920: broadway, 1930: dancehall (big band era) After the ball charles k. harris (lesson 1) Once a young maiden climbed an old man"s knee. Where is she now, pet, you will soon know. Listen to the story, i"ll tell it all. After the ball is over, after the break of dawn. After the dancers" leaving, after the stars are gone.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers