CRIM 1650 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Emily Murphy, Yellow Journalism, Objectivist Periodicals

84 views4 pages
elden1340 and 38522 others unlocked
CRIM 1650 Full Course Notes
CRIM 1650 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
4 documents

Document Summary

This is a conflict marxist perspective: focus on the boundaries or margins between crime and deviance spectrum. Continuum of crime (actions i. e. homicide) and deviance (criminal law i. e. Continuum of crime (actions i. e. homicide) and deviance (criminal law i. e. squeegeeing, drugs, prostitution) Distinction between what"s criminal and what"s deviant: examination of two related processes, amplification of deviance. Refers to a process through which the deviant aspects of a behaviour or activity are exaggerated or amplified with the result of this behaviour is then redefined as a crime: normalization of deviance. Two different ways of thinking these processes would be: objectivist versus constructionist approaches to social problems. The objectivist approach is the status of behaviour or practice as social problems based on their objective characteristics and the measurable forms of harm objectively. Constructed with the idea of positivism as the scientific investigation.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers