CC100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 42: Social Constructionism, Stranger Danger, Forensic Science

25 views5 pages
5 Sep 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Language 4 rhetorical devices: rhetorical idioms situatio(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:374)ditio(cid:374) i(cid:374) (cid:862)(cid:373)oral u(cid:374)i(cid:448)erse(cid:863, counter- hetori(cid:272)(cid:859)s counter claim by 2 sides, motifs figures of speech that aggrandizes problem, claims-making styles a style of speech; scientific style. Contextual acknowledge evidence can be evaluated. Hilgartner & bosk, 1988: social problems, co(cid:373)petitio(cid:374) (cid:858)pu(cid:271)li(cid:272) are(cid:374)as(cid:859, value space, reality limitations. Novelty & saturation new images and new ways to capitalize on events and avoid saturation. Culture certain problems fit with broad cultural concerns and cultural preoccupations. Politics some problems are advanced as they are important to powerful political and economic interests. Chara(cid:272)teristi(cid:272)s of a moral pa(cid:374)i(cid:272) : exaggeration in reporting, repetition of fallacies, misleading pictures and snappy titles. News is created by 2 models: market model public interest, manipulative model news agency owners. Street crime: over-reported, easier to personalize. White collar crime: under-reported, difficult to personalize, not labelled crime or criminal. Framing strengthen position in crime fighting. A coherent sequence of events expected (narrative)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers