PHIL 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding, Mental Property, Chapter 27

45 views4 pages
4 Feb 2018
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Read: john lacke, an essay concerning human understanding, bookii, chapter 27, paragraph 1-26. Metaphysics: the branch of philosophy that is concerned with answering the question what kinds of things exist? . In attempting to answer this question we compose an ontology. Minds with mental properties: beliefs, desires, emotions. Bodies with physical properties: brain, neurons, neurotransmitters. > how does my body give rise the desire. This is the thesis of materialism: all things that exist are material and behave strictly according to physical laws. >ontological claim: mental states and physical states are fundamentally distinct become minds and bodies are di erent sorts of substance with di erent properties. Substance: a thing in which properties inhere; a thing capable of independent existence. Property (modes): a thing which inheres in a substance; a thing that depends upon something else for existence. >cogito ergo sum: i am, i exist (4) >meditator: i am simply a thing that thinks (5)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers