PSYCH253 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Motivation, Pluralistic Ignorance

37 views2 pages
Goals and Motivation
-eg to get more people to donate blood, the government give incentive such as paying them.
Self Determination Theory
-Intrinsically motivated behaviour: something inside me is the thing that is motivating me to do
something
-Extrinsically motivated behaviour: something outside of me, such as a reward or avoiding
punishment, is the thing that is motivating me to do something
-3 fundamental psychological needs as a source of intrinsic motivation
-Competence - feeling effective in ones ongoing interactions with the social environment
-Relatedness - feeling connected to others
-Autonomy - we are in control of our lives
-Over-justification: Motivation may ironically be undermined when a previously intrinsically
motivated behaviour is extrinsically rewarded
-Brought magic markers into the class and measured when the children were drawn to the
magic marker
-They were spontaneously drawn to it without external prompting
-The researcher then added a reward for playing with it
-Next kids were asked to draw pictures for a man
-Then their participation with it in their free time
-A set of them got no reward
-Another were told they would get a star player award if they drew a picture
-Another weren’t told they would get a star player award if they drew a picture but when they
were done, they got it
-Recorded how much participation each group did
-Group one and three should have stayed the same in terms of ae
Practical example: The crowding effect in public policy
Case study: Swiss gov. was deciding where to locate a nuclear wast repository. Citizens living
in one potential site were surveyed to determine their willingness to accept the waste
repository in their community. The surveyed varied whether or not participants
-
Social Influence: Self censorship and conformity to social norms
-A group of people killed themselves because they thought a comet was going to transport
themselves to a heavenly place
-In the 1900s when black southerners isolated the racial norms they were publicly executed
Why do people conform to social norms?
-Informational Influence (need for meaning) - we don’t know the right thing to do so we look to
others
-Normative influence (need to belong) - even if know what the right thing to do is, we want to
fit in so we don't become outcasts
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Eg to get more people to donate blood, the government give incentive such as paying them. Intrinsically motivated behaviour: something inside me is the thing that is motivating me to do something. Extrinsically motivated behaviour: something outside of me, such as a reward or avoiding punishment, is the thing that is motivating me to do something. 3 fundamental psychological needs as a source of intrinsic motivation. Competence - feeling effective in ones ongoing interactions with the social environment. Autonomy - we are in control of our lives. Over-justi cation: motivation may ironically be undermined when a previously intrinsically motivated behaviour is extrinsically rewarded. Brought magic markers into the class and measured when the children were drawn to the magic marker. They were spontaneously drawn to it without external prompting. The researcher then added a reward for playing with it. Next kids were asked to draw pictures for a man. Then their participation with it in their free time.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers