ECON 111 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Demand Curve, Perfect Competition, Marginal Utility

34 views3 pages
27 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Competition: large number of independent buyers and sellers. Perfect competition: identical products, price takers, freedom of entry and exit: demand. Law of demand: law of diminishing marginal benefit. Other things equal assumption (i) price (ii) # of buyers (iii) income: normal and inferior (iv) prices of other goods: substitutes and complements (iv) tastes (v) expectations: future income and prices. Law of supply: law of increasing opportunity cost. Other things equal assumption (i) price (ii) input prices (iii) technology (iv) # of sellers (v) expectations. Shift in supply: demand and supply model. Four laws of demand and supply: (i) increase in demand (ii) decrease in demand (iii) increase in supply (iv) decrease in supply. What would happen to equilibrium price and quantity if the price of tomatoes rises and the price of hot dogs fall: conclusion: how prices allocate resources. Market economy: prices adjust to balance supply and demand.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers