SOC 1500 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Moral Panic, Public Knowledge, Thesis Statement

29 views2 pages

Document Summary

Any crime that happened in canada in the last 5 years you should cite lectures (soan referencing shows how) Select 3 articles from the database about that crime (details etc) 2 theories to try and explain why the crime may have occurred. 1 reference in essay proposal at least. (cid:449)e are allo(cid:449)ed to use (cid:862)i(cid:863) perso(cid:374)al pro(cid:374)ou(cid:374)s. Argumentative paper thesis statement in essay proposal state the theories that i (cid:373) pla(cid:374)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g to use a(cid:374)d (cid:449)hy. Cjs is too soft on criminals: ex. Public knowledge about crime and justice largely comes from mass media. The way crime is portrayed in the media differs from empirical accounts. A mass movement based on the false or exaggerated perception that some individual or group is dangerously deviant and poses a menace to society. They come fast, cause a lot of steam and then disappear quickly. The characters: moral entrepreneurs; the politicians, law makers, scientisits, religious organizations, media.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers