PHIL 2120 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Euthyphro Dilemma, John Calvin, Christian Reformer

22 views6 pages

Document Summary

"the safest general characterization of the philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to plato. " Phaedo: widely considered a master prose stylist, our excerpt is taken from the dialogue euthyphro. That is, his works generally take the form of discussions or debates about philosophical topics such as the nature of justice or morality, love, the soul, etc. The main character is plato"s teacher, socrates, who generally enters debates with local characters in order to gain a deeper insight into the subjects under discussion. Socrates was eventually tried and sentenced to death for impiety and for corrupting the youth. An apparently very religious man; claims to be an expert in religious matters. Socrates: and i, my dear friend, knowing this, am desirous of becoming your disciple. I adjure you to tell me the nature of piety and impiety, which you said that you knew so well, and of murder, and of other offences against the gods.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers