HIST 3690 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Bourgeoisie, Thomas Edison, Charles Wheatstone

18 views2 pages

Document Summary

Answer to each questions should be 200-400 words. Citations with reference to specific page numbers, chapters, and passages. Two major ideas: darwin"s works as part of literary culture consumed by a wide variety of audiences, darwin"s work as well as victorian literature: secularization. 1807: first passenger steamboat (hudson river: the clermont) Later: larger, iron ships with propellers: gas lighting. Development of coal gas transformed urban industry and life. Key to the bourgeoisie and the development of a nightlife: electricity. Both us and england initially to communicate across railways. England: william cooke and charles wheatstone (1837 telegraph) Profit and progression wasn"t the only drive for new technology. Human curiosity and interest prevailed through culture i. e. gramophone; cinematography (1895-6) Human curiosity and interest prevailed through culture i. e. gramophone; cinematography (1895-6) i. e. brunel"s ideal railroads. Human curiosity and interest prevailed through culture i. e. gramophone; cinematography (1895-6) i. e. brunel"s ideal railroads i. e. the eiffel tower (1889)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers