BIOL 1090 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Synaptonemal Complex, Synapsis, Meiosis

22 views5 pages

Document Summary

N number of chromosomes = the haploid state. Pairing of homologous chromosomes is called synapsis and is often facilitated by formation of a synaptonemal complex. o. Crossing over involves breakage of chromatids and the exchange of the broken pieces between homologous chromosomes (non-sister chromatids). Following crossing over, homologous chromosomes start to pull apart, but remain joined at the cross over junctions (called chiasmata) o. The cell division in meiosis i is also called a reduction division. o. Meiosis i produces two haploid daughter cells that are genetically distinct o. Meiosis involves dna replication and two cell divisions. o. Meiosis ii resembles a mitotic division, but the products are haploid. o. Kinetochore position changes between prophase i and ii. o. Egg and sperm cell sizes are very different. o. The fates of haploid cells vary in different organisms. o. A true alternation of generations in plants o o. In flowering plants, the sporophyte is the conspicuous part of the life cycle.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers