ENGL 3502 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: George Elliott Clarke, Blank Verse, Black Canadians

30 views3 pages

Document Summary

The most canadian mashup of all time (historica) When i use the term blackness, i mean to signal blackness as a sign, one that carries with it particular histories of resistance and domination. But blackness is also a sign which is never closed and always under contestation. Blackness for me, like black canadian, allows for a certain malleability and open-endedness which means that questions of blackness far exceed the categories of the biological and the ethnic. I deploy blackness as a discourse, but that discourse is embedded in a history of set of histories which are messy and contested. The essays that follow demonstrate how various kinds of blackness are always in progress, always in the process of becoming (28) Calling out the ways of rewriting history. Blackness related to nation and dominant forms of history. What clarke accomplishes, walcott does not like it. Clarke focuses on writing rather than identity.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers