BISC 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 25: Spermatocyte, Oogenesis, Spermatid

41 views3 pages

Document Summary

To describe spermatogenesis and oogenesis: spermatogenesis: process of creating the sperm cells. Mitosis: 1 diploid spermatogonium divides by mitosis, producing 2 diploid primary spermatocytes, some 3 million spermatogonia differentiate into primary spermatocytes each day. Meiosis i: primary spermatocyte (diploid cell) undergoes meiosis i, which reduces the chromosome number by half producing secondary spermatocytes (haploid cells, 1 primary diploid spermatocyte produces 2 haploid secondary spermatocytes (with duplicated chromosomes) Meiosis ii: 1 haploid secondary spermatocyte (with duplicated chromosomes) produces 2 haploid spermatids in the process of meiosis ii, spermatids develop into haploid sperm, oogenesis: process of creating the eggs, completion of meiosis i and onset of meiosis. Unequal cytokinesis occurs: large cell will eventually become the egg (ovum) and the small cell becomes a polar body. Both are haploid: this is the cell that ovulated, then meiosis stops again! Secondary oocyte is arrested at metaphase of meiosis ii: a sperm is needed to induce secondary oocyte to complete meiosis ii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers