SOC 808 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Whole Foods Market, Walmart Canada, Walmart

487 views3 pages
My second visit at Whole Foods Market (Sheppard/Yonge) was as exotic as the first time, in
contrast, to my usual visit at a Wal-Mart Supercentre. The first thing that caught my attention
was their colorful and fresh produce piled high for our preference and convenience. As I walked
the entire store, they sell the highest quality natural and organic products available from a variety
of cosmetics, snacks, fruits and vegetables, meats, etc. Whole Foods does an exceptional job of
promoting a healthy lifestyle of eating and well-being to its consumers. They carry a number of
authentic goods that other stores don't, such as real cheeses from Europe. I had a fun and unique
shopping experience. The store just looks better in general. It was a lot tidy and clean compared
to Wal-Mart. The staff was friendly and helpful that makes you want to go back and shop.
During the trip, I noticed the venue mostly de-fetishize food compared to most conventional
food systems that aims to maximize economies of scale, lowering overall consumer costs and
maximizing production (Moths, 2011). For example, Whole Foods display the origin of every
piece of produce it sells. The tags provide information about the product and suppliers to the
consumers (see attached photos). The company incorporates stories from suppliers to consumers
who look to make conscious, educated choices when buying food for themselves and their
families (see attached video). This also allows buyers to think about the labour behind the
products they are buying. They seek to create transparency from “farm to fork” with respect to
production, planning, sourcing, ingredients, product safety and efficacy in order to bring to
market the safest highest quality products available (Whole Foods Market, 2017). Whole Foods
is committed to work closely with local and global suppliers to obtain the highest quality fruits
and vegetables year-round and vows to treat them with respect, fairness and integrity at all times.
The company believes that by supporting local farmers, ranchers, growers and producers helps
connect the local community to the people who produce the foods we consume (Whole Foods
Market, 2017).
Furthermore, I see little implications in regards to sustainability, health and social justice in
the food system. The company only focuses on all natural food products by banning foods that
contain ingredients such as hydrogenated fats and artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives to
name few. Also, they recycle, reuse, and reduce waste wherever and whenever it’s possible
(Whole Foods Market, 2017). Lastly, At Whole Foods Market they’ve been offering fair trade
products for decades. In 2007, Whole Trade Guarantee was created to highlight its commitment
to ethical trade, working conditions and the environment, while also meeting our standards for
high quality products (Whole Foods Market, 2017).
Works Cited
Moths, Jessi. "Conventional Food System." Food System Wiki [licensed for Non-commercial
Use Only] / Conventional Food System. N.p., 10 Dec. 2011. Web. 15 May 2017.
"We Create Ongoing Win-Win Partnerships With Our Suppliers." Whole Foods Market. Whole
Foods Market, n.d. Web. 16 May 2017.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

My second visit at whole foods market (sheppard/yonge) was as exotic as the first time, in contrast, to my usual visit at a wal-mart supercentre. The first thing that caught my attention was their colorful and fresh produce piled high for our preference and convenience. As i walked the entire store, they sell the highest quality natural and organic products available from a variety of cosmetics, snacks, fruits and vegetables, meats, etc. Whole foods does an exceptional job of promoting a healthy lifestyle of eating and well-being to its consumers. They carry a number of authentic goods that other stores don"t, such as real cheeses from europe. I had a fun and unique shopping experience. It was a lot tidy and clean compared to wal-mart. The staff was friendly and helpful that makes you want to go back and shop.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers