PSY 202 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Physical Attractiveness, Paul Ekman, Botulinum Toxin

45 views9 pages

Document Summary

Psy202: introduction to psychology ii (11) motivation and emotion. Ultimate motivations: answer to why we do something. Proximate: why did this person eat this particular thing and amount and place, etc. Internal vs external motivation: internal- hunger- motivation to eat. External- different objects have different enticements (chocolate brownie) Virtually all forms of behaviour are determined by multiple causes! Motivations can be broken down into ultimate motivations and proximate motivations. For i(cid:374)sta(cid:374)(cid:272)e, the ulti(cid:373)ate (cid:373)oti(cid:448)atio(cid:374) for eati(cid:374)g is to pro(cid:448)ide e(cid:374)erg(cid:455) so that (cid:455)ou do(cid:374)"t die. The proximate motivation is that you feel hungry and the doughnut looks/smells great! Another distinction that is made is between internal motivations (drives) and external motivations (incentives) A primary drive is (cid:862)a ps(cid:455)(cid:272)hologi(cid:272)al state that arises i(cid:374) respo(cid:374)se to a(cid:374) i(cid:374)ter(cid:374)al ph(cid:455)siologi(cid:272)al (cid:374)eed(cid:863). The incentive value is a property of the external object you are driven towards.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers