LAW 122 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Punitive Damages, Liability Insurance, Independent Contractor

11 views2 pages

Document Summary

Purpose of tort law: - discourage bad behavior. Punish (not jail force them to pay) Private wrong private law (breeched your obligation to another individual)". Different types of torts on basis of mental culpability. Intentional: an intentional act on the part of the tortfeasor (i. e. intend to hit another individual, but do not intend to kill them liable because you intended to punch them) Negligence tort professional negligence (i. e. doctor accidentally kills a patient due to negligence) Balance of freedom of action and freedom from harm activity reasonable in circumstances (i. e. a doctor sees an individual on the street and he needs immediate attention the individual survives however gets an infection. This activity was reasonable due to the circumstances) Liability insurance risk management (liability insurance contract) Enhances compensatory function (i. e. the defendant does not have the money to pay for the action however the insurance company will pay)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers