LAW 122 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Adversarial System, Reform School, Malicious Prosecution

79 views5 pages

Document Summary

Introduction to tort law: tort generally consists of a failure to fulfill a private obligation that was imposed by law. Refers to a breach of a private obligation. Ex, i owe an obligation to you personally to make defamatory statements about your past: tortfeasor is a person who has committed a tort. The person who strikes you: a tort can be compared with a crime, occurs when a person breaks a private obligation, a crime occurs if a person breaks a public obligation. Social purpose tort law discourages people from committing private wrongs by requiring them to compensate & restore the wrong party. Types of torts: tort law needs to strike a different balance in different circumstances, some torts require proof tat the defendant acted with a guilty mind, while others do not. I(cid:374)te(cid:374)tio(cid:374)al torts o(cid:272)(cid:272)ur (cid:449)he(cid:374) a perso(cid:374) i(cid:374)te(cid:374)tio(cid:374)ally a(cid:272)ts i(cid:374) (cid:272)ertai(cid:374) (cid:449)ays.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers