GEO 509 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Calorie, William Banting, Grapefruit Diet

58 views2 pages

Document Summary

Last class: physiology of food, besides the senses, memory of food also influences our perception of flavor. Examined ingredients and how western and eastern recipes are created. Concluded that there is a different taste that distinguishes western and eastern cooking. Western cooking: compounds are complimentary (i. e. combining tomatoes with cheese -> has similar flavor compounds) Eastern cooking: compound non-complimentary -> contrast (i. e. rarely do european dishes have sweet and sour compound, unlike asian cooking) Diet: th(cid:396)oughout histo(cid:396)(cid:455), (cid:449)e"(cid:448)e (cid:271)ee(cid:374) e(cid:374)(cid:272)ou(cid:396)aged to eat a(cid:374)d (cid:374)ot eat (cid:272)e(cid:396)tai(cid:374) thi(cid:374)gs. Religious institutions weigh-in on what is acceptable to eat (i. e. clergy discourages people from eating spicy, fatty foods) Having this suggestion of what and what not to eat alters lifestyle: there have been desperate attempts by individuals to find a diet that achieves greater health and peace of mind. Last 30 years, this impulse has ramped up (more diets then before!: diet types: atkinsons, vegan, slc, real-food, calorie counting (weight watchers)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers