PHAR 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Central Nervous System, Parasympathetic Nervous System, Autonomic Nervous System

26 views33 pages

Document Summary

Pns: sensory and motor neurons: sensory neurons. Recognize change in the environment: carry signals to the cns from sensory organs, i. e. skin, motor neurons. Respond to changes in the environment: carry signal from the cns to areas that control the activities of muscles and glands, i. e. move muscle or secrete chemicals. Somatic nervous system: controls voluntary movements by activating skeletal muscle, cns stimulates release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (ach, ach interacts with nicotinic receptors on skeletal muscle, synapse is called the neuromuscular junction. Neuromuscular blocking agents: few drugs target skeletal muscle, drugs interfere with neurotransmission at the neuromuscular junction. I(cid:374)dige(cid:374)ous people of outh a(cid:373)eri(cid:272)a used (cid:862)(cid:272)urare(cid:863) to kill a(cid:374)i(cid:373)als. Causes skeletal muscle paralysis (in particular to the respiratory tract: two therapeutic indications. Surgical procedures: produce muscle paralysis (adjuncts to anesthetics) Reduce spasticity: muscle relaxants (chronic back pain, fibromyalgia) Autonomic nervous system (ans: controls involuntary responses by influencing organs, glands, and smooth muscle.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers