GEOL 106 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: John A. Macdonald, Ecological Footprint, Gini Coefficient

38 views3 pages

Document Summary

Earth systems engineering: the world as human artifacts by brad allenby. The earth, as it is now exists, is a human artifacts . It reflects the (frequently unintended and unconscious, but nonetheless real) design of a single species . But i would argue that anything that any of us does is earth-system management/engineering. When i hear the sigh and rustle of my young woodlands, planted with my own hands, then i know that i have some slight share in controlling the climate . Earth-systems engineering/management credo: think globally; act locally: everything you do has an impact on the earth. What would i do: r buckminster fuller (1895-1983) architect, systems theorists, author, designer, inventor, buckminster geometric dome. There are no passengers on spaceship earth, we are all crew members . Marshall mcluhan (1911-1980) canadian philosopher of communication theory. So, allenby calls conscious, controlled management/engineering of earth.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers