PSYC 333 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Stage Fright, Cognitive Load, Social Comparison Theory

9 views13 pages
Lecture'7:'Self-presentation'II''
(Jan.'30)'
'
'
Bibliography:'
-Ross,' Lee.' “Contruing' the' Social' World”,' from' The' Person' and' the' Situation:'
Perspectives' of' Social' Psychology/Lee' Ross,' Richard' E.' Nisbett.' Philadelphia:' Temple'
University'Press,'1991.''
'
'
'
Introduction':'Self-enhancement'
Some'researchers'argued'that'the'need'for'self-enhancement'is'the'bedrock'assumption'
of'social'psychology.'
'
As'we'saw'last'weeks,'individuals'have:''
-a'strong'desire'to'have'a'positive'self'view'
-positive'illusions'
-a'strong'desire'for'others'to'see'us'positively''
'
=>'How'do'we'support'such'positive'self-views?''
Last' class' we' talked' about' non-motivational' reasons,' today' we' will' talk' about'
motivational)social)reasons.''
1.' biased) evaluations) when) we) compare) ourselves) to) others'(e.g.,' better' than'
average'effect)'
2.'biased)evaluations)when)we)compare)ourselves)to)our)self)=>'the'subject'of'today'
course'
'
'
Plan:'
I.)Temporal)Comparison)and)Social)Comparison)))
A.'The'temporal'self'(Wilson'and'Ross,'2000,'2001,'2002)'
B.'Self-enhance'and'self-evaluate'(Wilson'and'Ross,'2000,'study'4)'
C.'Prime'enhancement'vs.'evaluation'goals'(Wilson'and'Ross,'2000,'Study'2)'
D.'Temporal'comparisons'
E.'Social'comparison'theory'
F.'“From'Chump'to'Champ”'(Wilson'and'Ross,'2001)'
G.'Temporal'distance'manipulation'(Wislon'and'Ross,'2001,'Study'6)'
'
II.)Self-enhancement)vs.)verification)
A.'Why'verify?'
B.'How'to'test'it?''
C.'Studies:'Low'and'High'Self-Esteem'and'Self-verification'Strivings'
D.'Cognitive-affective'crossfire'
E.'Dual'process'theories'
F.'Self-esteem'and'temporal'distance'
G.'The'Spotlight'effect''
'1.'The'Spotlight'Effect'(Gilovich,'Medvec,'Savitsky,'2000,'Study'1)'
'2.'“Group'discussion”'(Gilovich,'Medvec,'Savitsky,'2000,'Study'3)'
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 13 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
I.'Temporal'Comparison'and'Social'Comparison'''
A.'The'temporal'self'(Wilson'and'Ross,'2000,'2001,'2002)'
'
We'have'many'selves'over'time.''
How'am'I'compared'to'how'I'used'to'be?'=>'Asking'ourselves'this'question'is'a'way)to)
maintain)a)positive)self-view.))
Social) comparison) can) be) threatening' (we' often' compare' to' similar' or' superior'
others)' to' ourselves' but' temporal) comparison'-'esp' to' past' selves' –' are) often)
“downward”)and)therefore)feel)safe.))
Ex:'I'used'to'be'shy'in'kindergarten'but'now'I'am'extraverted'(temporal'comparison)'
Vs'How'shy'am'I'compared'to'my'peers'?'(social'comparison)''
People)see)themselves)has)improving)overtime.))
H:' Temporal' (vs.' social)' comparisons' are' favoured' when' people' want' to' enhance'
themselves'because'they'are'safer.''
'
'
'
B.'Self-enhance'and'self-evaluate'(Wilson'and'Ross,'2000,'study'4)'
Method:''
1.'Participants'where'put'in'different'mindset:'self-enhance'and'self-evaluate.''
-Instructions:'self'enhance'(Wilson'and'Ross,'2000,'study'4)'
Sometimes'we'want'to'describe)ourselves)in)a)way)that)makes)us)feel)particularly)
good) about) ourselves.'We'select'information'that'makes) us) feel) best) and) describe)
ourselves)in)the)most)positive)light.)
Describe'yourself'in'a'way)that)makes)you)feel)good)about)yourself.''
'
-Instructions:'self'evaluate'(Wilson'and'Ross,'2000,'study'4)'
Sometimes' we' want' to' evaluate) ourselves) as) accurately) as) possible.'We' select'
information' that) we) feel) is) most) useful) and) relevant) in) making) a) precise)
assessment)of)ourselves.'
Describe'yourself'in'a'way'that'provides)the)most)accurate)assessment)of)yourself.)
'
Results:''
'
Unlock document

People' primed' with' enhance) goal' made' more) temporal) comparison) than) social)
comparison.)
Those' will' the' accuracy) goal) made) more) social) comparison) than) temporal)
comparison.'
They' also' measured' mood' after' the' study:' people' in' the' enhance' condition' were' in' a'
better' mood' than' people' in' the' evaluate' condition.' =>' we' feel' better' about' ourselves'
when'we'make'temporal'comparison'(vs.'social'comparison).''
'
'
'
C.'Prime'enhancement'vs.'evaluation'goals'(Wilson'and'Ross,'2000,'Study'2)'
Method:''
=>'In'this'study,'enhancement'and'evaluation'were'prime,'people'were'not'explicitly'ask'
to'self'enhance'or'self'evaluate.''
Prime'and'not'explicitly'ask'people'
1.'“Word'association'task”'People'read'36'words'and'categorize'according'to'meaning.'
Half'of'the'participants'are'put'in'a'enhance'condition,'and'half'in'a'evaluation'condition.''
-Enhance' (positively' and' praise):' flawless,' worthy,' positive,' satisfied,' flatter,' boast,'
approve,'admire'
-Evaluation' (accuracy' and' evaluation):' factual,' unbiased,' precise,' honest,' scrutinize,'
verify,'assess,'evaluate''
2.' Participants' are' ask' to' describe' their' selves' on' number' of' attributes' (social' skills,'
independence,'self-confidence,'open-mindedness)'
3.'Open-ended'self-descriptions'coded'for'comparison'standard''
'
Results:''
'
This' study' confirm' the' first' study:' people' in' the' enhance' prime' make' more' temporal'
comparison'than'social'comparison,'and'people'in'the'evaluate'prime'make'more'social'
comparison'than'temporal'comparison.''
'
'
'
Unlock document

Document Summary

Contruing the social world , from the person and the situation: Perspectives of social psychology/lee ross, richard e. nisbett. Some researchers argued that the need for self-enhancement is the bedrock assumption of social psychology. A strong desire to have a positive self view. A strong desire for others to see us positively. => asking ourselves this question is a way to maintain a positive self-view. Social comparison can be threatening (we often compare to similar or superior others) to ourselves but temporal comparison - esp to past selves are often. Ex: i used to be shy in kindergarten but now i am extraverted (temporal comparison) Vs how shy am i compared to my peers ? (social comparison) H: temporal (vs. social) comparisons are favoured when people want to enhance themselves because they are safer: self-enhance and self-evaluate (wilson and ross, 2000, study 4) Method: participants where put in different mindset: self-enhance and self-evaluate.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers