POLI 221 Lecture 1: Federal Distribution of power notes

64 views3 pages

Document Summary

Federal distribution of power notes: (367-402: the constitution that was contained in the bna act did not create a true federation. Moder(cid:374) defi(cid:374)itio(cid:374) of a federal go(cid:448)er(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t: (cid:862)the (cid:373)ethod of di(cid:448)i(cid:374)g po(cid:449)ers so that the general and regional governments are each, within a sphere, co-ordinate and i(cid:374)depe(cid:374)de(cid:374)t(cid:863) (cid:894)k. c. I(cid:374) its legal for(cid:373), bna a(cid:272)t is (cid:862)quasi-federal(cid:863). Having a colonial relationship was normal for canada at the time. Lieutenant governor of a province inherited governors imperial role and was expected to act in the best interest of the federal government. Power of disallowance not really used since there were usually better ways to solve issues: the power was likely to only be used against a hostile provincial government. For example if provincial government was run by an unorthodox party with radical views which would harm the federal government. Power of disallowance no longer use now since it would offend the democratic principles of the public, creating too much political risk.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers