COMS 210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Eucharist, Walter Benjamin, Telepathy

120 views3 pages
WEEK 3: September 12
Peters, The Problem of Communication
i. the idea of combination and how it became important in the modern world
ii. As stated by Aristotle, humans are the animals differentiated through speech but as
discovered in the 19th century, there is more to communication that simply speech and the
communication often fails through boundaries of genre, race, age, religion etc
iii. good quotation end of page 2
i. Historicism vs. constructivism:
i. according to Walter Benjamin, time is not a continuum but a road with bumps
i. there are similarities between events through time that link them closer and allow for
people to learn and grow from them like fashion that keeps repeating itself in trends
i. to understand communication is to understand and distinguish between self and other,
private and public, inner thought and the outer world
ii. we divide the group into “me” and “not me” —> the person as an individual vs a subject
i. the biggest difference between humans are their thoughts because they are based on
experiences - William James Principles of Psychology
Dualism of communication —> telepathy vs solipsism
i. telepathy: communication of thoughts and ideas without said sentences
i. not only reading people’s minds but the brain being able to get ideas into people’s brains
naturally like how the Nazis were able to convince people of their ideals
ii. solipsism: the view that the self is all that can be known to exist
i. permanently trapped alone, and cannot communicate
The Varied Senses of Communication
1. imparting and partaking
-communicating can refer to being part of something like the holy communion where people
are part of a group but don't necessarily need a response to their communication
-“The difficulty of communication across various social boundaries - gender, class, race,
age, religion, nation and language
2. transfer and transmission
-communication is responding not delivering
3. exchange
-interchange, mutuality, and reciprocity
-when both parties know the message has been received, there is communication
-emotional capitalism is a culture in which emotional and economic discourses and
practices mutually shape each other
4. symbolic interaction
-“free of special pleading about that we humans should be capable of but is a descriptive
tremor out relations in significations”
-the social self is simply any idea or system of ideas drawn from the communicative life…
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Communicating can refer to being part of something like the holy communion where people are part of a group but don"t necessarily need a response to their communication. The dif culty of communication across various social boundaries - gender, class, race, age, religion, nation and language. Communication is responding not delivering: exchange. When both parties know the message has been received, there is communication. Emotional capitalism is a culture in which emotional and economic discourses and practices mutually shape each other: symbolic interaction. Free of special pleading about that we humans should be capable of but is a descriptive tremor out relations in signi cations . The social self is simply any idea or system of ideas drawn from the communicative life : communications. Multitude of things such as ideas, info etc. Communications cannot solve the problems of poor communication.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers